Thursday, November 6, 2008

Here Comes the Rain Again...

Damp and disappointing Seattle

I've lived in the Seattle area since 1981. I'm still not used to the weather. With every passing year, I find myself feeling more depressed and gloomy during the 10 (it used to be 9) months of rain. The summers are shorter even. It gets dark at 4:00 p.m. now and will until next April. I don't know how much longer I can take this.

I love Seattle and most of what it has to offer. The vibe and attitude of the city is progressive, tolerant, cosmopolitan and rich in culture, and for about 8 weeks out of 52, I love living in the Northwest. I am not surprised that Seattle ranks quite highly on the suicide charts. (Considering this area has the moniker "Heroin Central", I suppose that adds to it as well. I personally have always been of the opinion that Kurt Cobain had HAD it with the weather.) Oh, and this is not a cry for help, I'm just tellin' ya what I heard, mmkay? I can bitch about the weather without the doctors being called in for observation. I would talk to them if they would prescribe an extended stay in Santa Barbara or Sun Valley.

So, yeah. I think I've got the S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Do they still sell those lights, I wonder? Maybe I should just get into the tanning bed. Hmmm...skin cancer vs. blackhole depression? Tough call.


4 comments:

Jilly said...

I feel your pain, sister. You are welcome to come hang out in sunny SoCal if you get too bummed...but I know you'd miss your sweetie, family, kids, grandbaby, pups, etc. Oh well, nevermind. You've got way too much going on for you up there. How about if I just come up there? I never get any rain.

Annette said...

Looks just like the weather here. Yuk! Voltaire's going stir crazy because i won't go out and walk him - what a hypocrite - he won't go out and get wet on his own but it's normal for me to go and get wet with him. I'm gonna see if i can find him an indoor running machine on ebay.

Jilly said...

Same invitation applies to you Annette!! Come visit Cali!!

Annette said...

haha! Thanks Jilly but California is a LOOOOnng way! I'm already moaning because i have to get my arse up to Paris (60 miles) in a couple of weeks! Any distance above 30 miles is an expedition! Ask Carter - this summer i drove down the road with the trunk open and the dog standing at the gate- I forgot him!! If one of the boys hadn't pointed out that the trunk was open i was gone!