Sunday, January 4, 2009

I'm not mean-spirited, and neither are you.

John Travolta and his wife, actress Kelly Preston, released a statement on Preston's official website on Sunday.
It is the couple's first public words since the tragic and sudden death of their 16-year-old son, Jett, on Friday.

"We would like to extend our deepest and most heartfelt thanks to everyone who has sent their love and condolences.
Jett was the most wonderful son that two parents could ever ask for and lit up the lives of everyone he encountered. We are heartbroken that our time with him was so brief. We will cherish the time we had with him for the rest of our lives. We have received many messages of condolence from around the world and we want to thank everyone for their prayers and support. It has meant so much to us. It is a beautiful reminder of the inherent goodness in the human spirit that gives us ahope for a brighter future.
With love,John, Kelly and Ella"

I'm just going to say what I think here. I, too, am horrified that such a young person, such as Jett Travolta died. I don't believe that I'm being mean-spirited by wondering if the tragedy could have been prevented. It's the mother in me. I know that I practically LIVED at the pediatrician's office with one of my sons, and with the other I spent several weeks in gut-wrenching fear that he was suffering from leukemia. Thankfully, after many tests and with medication it was determined not to be leukemia. My point is, I know vitamins would not have helped my older son with all of his illnesses. He needed real, live medication prescribed by a doctor. It was my duty as a parent to ensure that my young children received any and all medical treatment available, whether to battle an illness or as maintenance for a health condition. They didn't ask to be sick.

While I don't doubt for a second that John Travolta and Kelly Preston are suffering horribly from the loss of Jett, I feel that their statement is a manipulation so as to prevent any real investigation into his death by inferring that it would be mean-spirited to do so.

How are the Travoltas any different than the couple (see yesterday's post) in Oregon? Oh. That's right. Hollywood/Scientology "royalty".

No comments: