Friday, February 6, 2009

Mom of Octuplets - Is it Just Me, Or is She Trying to be Angelina Jolie?

Lip injections much?
Role model?

The Southern California woman who gave birth to octuplets last week told TODAY’s Ann Curry in an exclusive interview that growing up as an only child, she had always dreamed of having “a huge family.” She also denied charges that she was irresponsible to have so many babies — especially with six other children already at home. Hmmmmm.
“I know I'll be able to afford them when I'm done with my schooling,” the 33-year-old single mom replied. Calm, poised and articulate in the glare of the media spotlight, Suleman added: “If I was just sitting down watching TV and not being as determined as I am to succeed and provide a better future for my children, I believe that would be considered, to a certain degree, selfish.”

“All I wanted was children. I wanted to be a mom. That's all I ever wanted in my life. I love my children,” she told Curry.

Curry said that Suleman said she intends to return to college in the fall to complete a master’s degree in counseling. Suleman had worked in a state mental hospital from 1997-2006, but spent much of the time after 1999 on disability after injuring her back in a riot at the facility.

Suleman said she is a good mother.

“I'm providing myself to my children. I'm loving them unconditionally, accepting them unconditionally,” she told Curry. “Everything I do, I'll stop my life (except for that Master's Degree thing) for them and be present with them. And hold them. And be with them. And how many parents do that? I'm sure there are many that do, but many don't. And that's unfortunate. That is selfish.”

NBC contributor and psychiatrist Dr. Gail Saltz added that there will be emotional issues to deal with as well. “Undoubtedly these eight children are going to have issues: at the minimum, the issue of neglect,” Saltz told Lauer.“Obviously, she’s saying she’s going to love them, but there are 14 children and [only] one of her,” Saltz continued. “There’s going to be an absence of some emotional needs. There will probably be developmental delays at best in these children; maybe learning disabilities. There are going to be major issues that they’re going to need various therapies for.”

“Describe what you felt you lacked within,” Curry said.
“Feeling of self and identity,” Suleman replied. “I didn't feel as though, when I was a child, I had much control of my environment. I felt powerless. And that gave me a sense of predictability. Reflecting back on my childhood, I know it wasn't functional. It was pretty dysfunctional, and whose isn't?” Oh. I see. These 14 kids are all going to feel special, in control of their lives and environment and lead totally "functional" existences. Right? Right??

Saltz later opined to Lauer that Suleman’s statement reveals emotional issues. “I think she’s in a bit of denial here and quite defensive, because in fact she does talk about the fact that this has been her life’s mission: to have babies, have babies, have babies. There’s an obsession to this, and I think it’s quite disturbing,” the psychiatrist said.
“When you don’t have a connection in childhood, you go see a therapist,” she added. “You don’t have 14 babies.”
Ms. Curry neglected to ask this woman who her "role model" is; I think it's obvious. It's also glaringly obvious that this woman and Angelina Jolie do not have the same home and lifestyle situation.
I think she's nutty. There. I said it.

3 comments:

Annette said...

Thank God you don't mind saying what you think! This story was on the news here too and my first reaction was "another head case".

"Suleman had worked in a state mental hospital from 1997-2006" ;
for "worked" read "been commited"

Poor Kate said...

Annette: Heh. Let's see how these kids are doing in 18 years...maybe 12 years? Less?

Jilly said...

OMG! This woman lives in my old town...and that about sums up how ghetto it is. I think you said it best. She has no business bringing 8 babies into the world; and those children are going to suffer for their mother's selfishness. Grrr! I am an advocate for mandatory sterilization...if you are screwed up, you cannot birth 14 children. Period. Sorry, but this is just WRONG!