Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Christian Bale: "American Psycho's Patrick Bateman is based on Tom Cruise"!!


 Naked With a Chainsaw, Patrick Bateman

 
Tom Cruise, returning some videotapes


Hang on a sec...I'm still belly laughing. Can't. Stop. Laughing...

Okay. Talk about good timing. Since American Psycho was my Recommened Movie of the Weekend a few days ago, I'm REALLY loving this quote from director Mary Harron:


via BlackBook Magazine:


"Mary Harron, the director of American Psycho, told BlackBook Magazine about how she developed the character of Patrick Bateman with Christian Bale,

"It was definitely a process. We talked a lot, but he was in L.A. and I was in New York. We didn’t actually meet in person a lot, just talked on the phone. We talked about how Martian-like Patrick Bateman was, how he was looking at the world like somebody from another planet, watching what people did and trying to work out the right way to behave. And then one day he called me and he had been watching Tom Cruise on David Letterman, and he just had this very intense friendliness with nothing behind the eyes, and he was really taken with this energy." 

I'm just hugging myself right now. But wait. It gets even better. Remember Bronson Pinchot? Balki from Perfect Strangers? He had some hilarious shit to say about Cruisey (and some other celebrities--Bette Midler, Eddie Murphy--but right now we're talking smack about Xenu-Boy, mmkay?).


'member Balki??
I love him now.

 

Bronson said, "We thought Tom [Cruise] was the biggest bore on the face of the Earth. He was tense and made constant, constant unrelated homophobic comments, like, 'You want some ice cream, in case there are no gay people there?' I mean, his lingo was larded with the most… There was no basis for it. It was like, 'It’s a nice day, I’m glad there are no gay people standing here.' 

Very, very strange. Years and years later when people started to torment him with that, I used to think 'God, that’s really fitting, because he tormented a lot of people as a 20-year-old.' He made such a big deal about it."


WHAT the goddamnhell does "'You want some ice cream, in case there are no gay people there?' even mean??

Now, Bronson was in one of my other favorite Recommended Movie of the Weekend, True Romance. so he's known for more than just being Balki. Here's what I LOVE about this whole thing: Someone has the guts to tell it like it is, rather than cowering in fear.

Bronson? I salute you!! 

No comments: