Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Shirley Manson Graces the Stage Last Night at the No Doubt Concert in L.A.

Girl crush.



Oh, to have been at the No Doubt show in L.A. last night. Shirley Manson from Garbage joined Gwen (and the chick from The Sounds) for a cover of Adam and the Ants classic, "Stand and Deliver". I'm SUCH a goon for Shirley. I think I've had a crush on her since I first heard "I'm Only Happy When it Rains". What year was that, 1995? Obviously, she's as fabulous as ever, and I'd definitely choose Shirley over Gwen any day.




Hunter and I were lucky enough to meet Shirley back in 1996 at O'Hare International Airport. (Alex decided his Big Mac was more important and stayed several rows back, rolling his eyes. Pssh.) Shirley was SUCH a little, tiny, sweet doll. I'll never forget how tender she was with Hunter, shaking his hand, and then kind of just holding onto it while she chatted with him and asked him questions. He was six years old...and smitten.

We've seen Garbage in concert 3 or 4 times...I can't remember. I used to totally color my hair like Shirley's. (Gosh, what a 7th grader.) The last time Hunter and I saw Garbage (we went with Patrick), we were in the pit...right down in front of the stage. Hunter's ribs were being crushed against the stage by a big chick who kept shoving me into him. I had finally had it, and threw my elbow HARD up into her ear. She stopped shoving me. Hunter loves that story. I think he was 12 this time. Don't EFF with my kids! (Yeah, I'm a badass...at least I used to be?)

Shirley? Please tour again!

4 comments:

Madd Hadder said...

not going to lie...this made me piddle my undies a little bit form sheer laughter.

you are my hero!!!!

Annette said...

About time someone revived a bit of Adam Ant stuff - love the bloke! (Then - not now)!

Annette said...

I would've paid good money to see the look on the drummers face when the stylist said "and you'll be wearing this Tutu and these Checkered black & white stockings..."

Poor Kate said...

Annette, I KNEW you'd like this! I wist someone would cover "Desperate But Not Serious:". LOVE that one.

And BELIEVE me, Adrian, No Doubt's drummer CHOSE that outfit himself. Ugh.

xoxo j