Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael Jackson - Memorial at Staples Center, Daughter Paris Speaks About Her Daddy

The Memorial Programme
Michael's golden coffin




Michael Jackson's daughter, Paris broke the hearts of the World today when she softly spoke about her father. She let us all realize that he was a Daddy, a man...and not a monster. That's when all the spectacle and other sentiments were just noise. Paris humanized Michael Jackson in just a matter of seconds. He wasn't the King of Pop to these children. He was Daddy.

Before Paris spoke, Michael's brother Marlon spoke, asking Michael to "hug Marlon's deceased twin brother, Brandon, now that he's in Heaven with him". Heartbreaking.

There were lovely performances...Lionel Richie, John Mayer (please watch his tender instrumental version of "Human Nature"), Jennifer Hudson; lovely speeches...Brooke Shields, Berry Gordy, and Queen Latifah, who read a gorgeous poem written by Maya Angelou for Michael.



I don't need to re-hash the entire memorial...I'm sure most of you watched it on a TV, a jumbo-tron, or your computer.

I have my own memories of loving Michael Jackson throughout most of my life, and so do my sons, Alex and Hunter. Last night, when my darling grandson, Felix was fussy, I turned on Michael's "Man in the Mirror", sang along with it into his tiny ear...and he made sweet little baby humming sounds, then I rocked him to sleep. Yet another generation to love Michael Jackson's music.


"..if you want to make the world a better place,
take a look at yourself, and make a change."


3 comments:

Annette said...

I watched most of it and have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I thought it was strange that some of Michael's closest friends weren't there....did they not agree with the whole idea of the memorial? Maybe it's just me but i would've found it more fitting had there been a private friends/family funeral ceremony and a 'memorial show' after he was buried. This was a concert in front of a casket. Admit it - it's not very dignified to use every remaining bit of Michael Jackson (ie/ a corpse in front of a stage) and offer it as entertainment to the masses. Finally i think his family are way stranger than he ever was.

Poor Kate said...

There are indeed an odd bunch. I would have been so terrified, as a child, to see a casket right in front of me at the Staples Center, as it it were the most normal thing in the world.

I feel badly for those kids. Especially Paris.

Poor Kate said...

Oh, and Mariah Carey sucked ass. And don't tell me she was crying because there were no tears going down that slap-filled face. NONE. And her "diva hands" that she waved around with every note? Holy crap. Then she LEFT Staples Center, saying she was "too upset to stay". That's crap. She left because she didn't want to see the other performers kick her ass musically. Bleh.

I really enjoyed John Mayer the most. It was so soft and sweet and NOT about HIM.

Whew. (Out of breath...)