Friday, July 3, 2009

Sometimes we all need something cute to look at, don't we?

My son Hunter, used to call elephants
"lumma-lumps" when he was tiny.

I'm dying. I have a thing for baby elephants. Back in the good ol' days, when I was able to cry, I would burst into tears upon seeing a baby elephant. All I can think of is that's because of "Dumbo" and the "Baby Mine" song his Mama sang to him when she was locked up.
"An elephant cools down in the hot weather at Chester Zoo, in Chester, north-west England, on July 2, 2009. Britain's hottest week in years was threatening to become a wash-out today as parts of the country were put on flood alert. As temperatures soared beyond 30C (86F) in parts of Surrey yesterday, the north east of England was hit by a torrential thunderstorm." (ANDREW YATES/AFP/Getty Images)

Goddamnit. Why can't I cry anymore?? Any psychiatrists out there? It's been over 18 months since I've shed a tear.

5 comments:

Annette said...

Awwww - Did you ever see that Youtube thing where the baby elephant falls in a river and can't get out? All the big elephants help him - that'll make you cry you HARD woman you!

Annette said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd-LtWtNvDw
Watch and weep!

Poor Kate said...

I'm not hard, I swear. Something happened and I don't know why I can't cry. I used to cry at commercials on TV forpitysake. Please don't think I'm hard...

xoxo j

MargaretinTO said...

It's true that when life hands you big heartbreaks, you cry through them,and the tears don't stop. And when come along the devastating crises in your life you still cry, but if enough things happen, you must stop crying. It doesn't mean that you don't care; in fact you may feel physical heartache.

It's true, you need to search out the really touching things in life, like a newborn baby or acts of kindness.

It is truly awful not being able to cry when you're sad. You don't ever purge any of the sad feelings, and you sort of carry around these heartbreaks that you never did deal with.

Poor Kate said...

Margelkins: Your post totally took me by surprise. Thank you for your kind words. Really. It's something I'm truly worried about. I've gone through a lot in the past 18 months (if you read my blog enough, you know it's not just about ridiculous celebs, but personal aches and pains as well as joy that I should have cried about--but have been unable to).

I'd love to speak with you again...

xoxo j