Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Here we go again with PETA hurting our feelings, ya'll.

The latest smear by PETA.

In their attempt to make a point of some sort, PETA has once again caused a stir with a controversial billboard. Oh, I totally get what they are saying, it's just the how that is, as usual, offensive.

I've mentioned that Stephen and I are, for the most part, vegetarians. We do eat fish. So, whatever that's called, that's what we are. I have indeed lost a few pounds. Rest assured though, we did NOT do it for ETHICAL reasons. In fact, we both enjoyed a big ol' sausage at the Seattle Mariner game a couple of weeks ago. So there.

So here comes PETA, telling WOMEN how fat we, and that becoming a vegetarian will make us thin and gorgeous.

In a press release, PETA stated:
A new PETA billboard campaign that was just launched in Jacksonville reminds people who are struggling to lose weight -- and who want to have enough energy to chase a beach ball -- that going vegetarian can be an effective way to shed those extra pounds that keep them from looking good in a bikini. [....]

Anyone wishing to achieve a hot "beach bod" is reminded that studies show that vegetarians are, on average, about 10 to 20 pounds lighter than meat-eaters. [...]

"Trying to hide your thunder thighs and balloon belly is no day at the beach," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "PETA has a free 'Vegetarian Starter Kit' for people who want to lose pounds while eating as much as they like.

Where is the photo of the BIG FAT MAN who needs to become a vegetarian?

Right here.

But in all seriousness (me? Serious?), how do we feel about this? Are we being overly sensitive?

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

ok.. let me just say i know plenty of "fat " vegetarians....thats all.

Poor Kate said...

HEY!! I said I was doing the best that I can!!
HAHAHAAA! Love you, R!

Unknown said...

LOL. . .I'm all for saving the whales!!!!

I know lots of chubby veggies too. . lol. . .

If the answer to being skinny was to be a veggie, we'd all be eatin carrot sticks!

monty_987 said...

ok the way I look at it is this, you can be a fat ass eating vegetables, or you can be a fat ass sitting at home mashing burgers down your pie hole.

I mean your no better off eating 8 pounds of carrots then yu are a few double cheeseburgers. Suure no animals died for the carrots, but then again, it feels fucking great to be on top of the food chain. What peta doesn't realize is animals don't co-exist. Lions eat Gazelles, they don't frolic happily because they both animals. If you put a lion and a gazelle in the same room that poor bastards gonna get his shit torn apart... but nooooo we're supposed to be sensitive to the animals. Ok, put a human in the same room with a lion..we're on the desert menu. Fuck that, we're smart enough to kill shit to eat it...BRING IT ON!

On a side note, I used to eat alot of vegetables, but I have limited space in my apartment to hide the wheelchairs..