Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pee Wee Herman's Comin' Back!!!

Oh, Pee Wee!!!





OhHappyDAY. Pee Wee Herman is coming back!! Even though I have a tendency to sound like a self-righteous church lady when it comes to the Cyrus girls and their love of pole dancing, I'm proud to say I raised both my boys on the humor and delight of Pee Wee Herman, and if Paul Reubens brings his live show to Seattle, we are THERE.

We loved Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Pee Wee's Playhouse, but the one this still gets the biggest laughs--even now--is the live stage show at the Roxy Theatre he performed for an HBO special back in 1982.

via the L.A. Times, Paul Reubens said:

"I've put part of him [Pee Wee] away for a long time but part of him has always been here with me," the soft-spoken actor said in an interview today. "I think it will be like riding a bike -- which is not a bad analogy for Pee-wee, by the way."

One Christmas, I think Alex was in kindergarten, Santa (ahem)brought the best presents ever...it was all Pee Wee Herman!! Under the tree, he found the full-sized Chairy, Pee Wee jammies and matching robe, colorforms (remember those?), a sweatshirt, all the miniature characters from Pee Wee's Playhouse, and the giant ventriloquist Pee Wee. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of other cool things.

Mekka-lekka-HI mekka-hiney-HO, bitches!

9 comments:

Stuart said...

Mekka-lekka-hi mekka-chahney-ho! (I always thought that was johnny ho, but eh) I grew up on Pee-Wee as well, though technically in Pee-Wee's Playhouse syndicated reruns. 6am on a Saturday morning, watching it with the volume most of the way down as to now awaken the rest of my family. Now, if only Laurence Fishburne could get into the Holstein chaps and baby blue cowboy hat again or see Miss Yvonne's bouffant again. And, sadly, Kap'n Karl is with us no more.

Poor Kate said...

Stuart: Have you watched the HBO special? You can find it on ebay all the time. Everyone in our family has our own copy. I'm gonna show it to Felix this weekend!! (He's a year old now...he's ready.)

xoxo ~j

Stuart said...

I've seen bits and pieces of it. The stuff I can find on YouTube mainly. It is pretty darn funny, but it's also bizarre to see Pee-Wee so young. He really looks like a very large kid.

Rebecca said...

well its been along time since i saw "pee wee herman" and "coming" in the same senetnce!!! jokes aside tho.. good for him!! i watched his show growing up and i used to have a pee wee doll that you would pull the string and he would say.. "i know you are but what am i?" lol!!

Poor Kate said...

GASP! Rebecca!! (I'm pretending to be shocked and outraged.)

xoxo ~j

Unknown said...

Omygosh, mom unearthed my pull-string-talking Pee Wee the other day! His string is all wound up weird though, he speaks the Japanese now unfortunately.

Poor Kate said...

Rachel: I LOVE that you had a Pee Wee doll...just like Alex did. Heh.

Unknown said...

I was a member of the Pee Wee Herman fan club and of course I had the doll...granted I was in my early 20's! Need to get a hold of that HBO special but YALL HAVE GOT to get the Pee Wee Christmas Special on DVD. I have gifted it for years to friends and it is always a hit for christmas. Chock-full of celebs but nothing beats Grace Jones singing Littel Drummer Boy!

Poor Kate said...

Hey Connie! WELCOME! Oh, honey--we DO have the Christmas dvd, silly girl!

I swear, though--get on ebay right this second and get the HBO Special. You'll cry from laughter.

Please keep coming back!!

xoxo j