Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mary Travers from Peter, Paul and Mary has passed away. Sigh.

Mary Travers...rest in peace.

 
A part of my babyhood is gone...

This story makes me really sad. Mary Travers from Peter, Paul and Mary has died today at the age of 72 in Connecticut, reportedly from cancer.

I remember being in my crib, during a thunderstorm, with the album Moving playing on the stereo to soothe me. I was almost two years old...and I really, truly do remember this day.  My Mommy played Peter, Paul and Mary's music all the time for me. I can't listen to this particular album (Puff the Magic Dragon, especially) without getting choked up. (I still can't cry, but when I could, I did.)


"Mary Travers, whose ringing, earnest vocals with the folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary made songs like “Blowin’ in the Wind,” “If I Had a Hammer” and “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?” enduring anthems of the 1960s protest movement, died Wednesday night in Danbury Hospital in Connecticut. She was 72 and had lived in Redding, Conn.


The cause was cancer, said her spokeswoman, Heather Lylis."

I've got an ache in my chest tonight. How much more of my childhood is going to fade away?

4 comments:

Kidlevi said...

Well I am sorry to see her go. But she was a bit of a backstabber. I mean, she stole from Peter to pay Paul and then, behind the poor fellows back, took from Paul to pay back Peter. But RIP to a vial part of so many childhoods and then some.

Unknown said...

Oh goodness Julie. I am so sad about this! I sing with my Aunt, we actually have a gig on Saturday, and most of the songs we cover have been done by P, P, and Mary. One that comes to mind is called "Cruel War" Look it up online, the words are so fitting for such a time we are in. Also, for your little grandbaby see if you can get a copy of "Peter Paul and Mommy." Such a delight. She will be missed, I will surely let her legacy live on in my life with recordings of her hauntingly beautiful voice.

susanh4700 said...

This breaks my heart too.
xoxo
Mom

Amy said...

I love their music. I offer my prayers and condolences to the family.