Friday, September 25, 2009

Recommended Movie of the Weekend - "The Hunger", with David Bowie





Bauhaus performing "Bela Lugosi's Dead" in the 
trailer for "The Hunger"



I was 22 when "The Hunger" was released. All I remember was the fuss everyone made over the love scene between Susan Sarandon and the luminous Catherine Deneuve. (My God, she's beautiful.) I never saw the film in the theatre; I wish that I had.


It's much more. David Bowie's performance is completely heartbreaking, and altogether too short. It's also a cool way to remember what we thought was sexy in the 80's--chiffon curtains blowing from an unknown wind, scenes seemingly shot through mini-blinds (a la` American Gigolo). 

Okay, maybe I'm the only one who has enjoyed taking the stroll down memory lane by watching The Hunger. The final scene with Catherine Deneuve is sort of lame, but just sit back and feel the darkness of the 80's.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! my fav of all time.
i was 18 and living in seattle, Katherine Deneuve came to nordstroms to launch her perfume and i'm standing in line with a bunch of old ladies looking like peter murphy. when i got up to her i was so nervous i just threw the perfume sample paper at her and said "i loved you in the hunger!" she smiled that amazing parisian smile and whispered "me too." i still have her autograph and still am in awe of the woman.

ps. have you seen "indochine"?
pps. i will get you the review of "modern family" today. james wanted input and you know how collaborations go;-)

tim

Poor Kate said...

Holy crap, Tim! This is one HELL of a story. I need to see that autograph. I have David Bowie's...fyi.

xoxo j

Anonymous said...

let's get their autographs together and re-enact the opening "stalking" scene.

tim

Poor Kate said...

Tim, I know I can count on you to have the CASSETTE of either the soundtrack to The Hunter or Bauhaus doing "Bela Lugosi's Dead", yes?

Then we need to video tape it so it become a huge viral hit.

xoxo j

Anonymous said...

oh diva puhleez,
i own the soundtrack: lp, cassette and cd
i also own the dvd of the movie as well as a picture disc lp of the movie version of "bela lugosi's dead".

there is a track on the soundtrack by "delibes" from "lakme" i've recommended it to 6 different people for their wedding, and all have used it.

i'm sure by now my obession for peter murphy/david bowie is showing. or is that my black cape?

tim

Anonymous said...

"i'm sure by now my obession for peter murphy/david bowie is showing. or is that my black cape?"
My dear sweet Tim, just because your teeth are chipped does not make you a vampire, it means you sucked at tether ball at recess and led with your face, lol, black cape, WHATEVER! its a snuggie, and its blue!
love, your boy